Browsed by
Category: Lincoln Valley, ND

Sheridan County
Vacant as of 9/04

The Ruins of Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

The Ruins of Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota is in its last days.  The structures that remain standing are largely in tenuous shape, might stand another few decades at best, and they’re far outnumbered by places long gone.  Browsing through our Lincoln Valley archive, we realized we had a lot of photos we’d never posted before, particularly photos of the ruins of Lincoln Valley, North Dakota, population zero.

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

These photos were taken during our last visit to Lincoln Valley in June of 2010.

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Sometimes we’ll be walking through the woods and come upon something a little out of the ordinary and think to ourselves, “What the heck is that?”

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

And when you circle around the back, the answer becomes clear. The building that once stood here is long gone, with only the entry shed remaining.

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Order Books

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

The spine of the former bar and ice cream parlor is cracked and the whole structure is sinking in the center.

Lincoln Valley, North Dakota

Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Ten Lost North Dakota Places

Ten Lost North Dakota Places

It’s always a thrill to see enthusiastic residents get involved in saving historically and culturally significant places in their communities, but in North Dakota’s vanishing small towns, the losses frequently outnumber the wins by a significant margin. It’s something we’ve seen time and again in over ten years of photographing North Dakota.

What follows is our personal list, by no means exhaustive, of ten significant North Dakota places that have unfortunately lost their battle with time.

1. The Opp House

This home stood in a field outside Lincoln Valley, North Dakota until the early-2000’s when it was razed due to safety and infestation concerns. It was the former home of the Opp family, who just packed up and left one day, leaving most of their belongings behind. It became a very early icon of our website and we’re saddened to see it go.

2. Hamberg School

A fire claimed this Hamberg School on April 1st, 2012. It was a beautiful place.

3. Stardust 17

We took these photos in August of 2011 and in the fall of 2012, they took down what remains of the screen at Stardust 17, the drive-in theater outside of Grafton, North Dakota.

Fillmore, North Dakota

4. Fillmore

The incredible near-ghost town we visited in 2006 is no more, most of it destroyed by fires of suspicious origin according to some local residents.

Sanger, North Dakota

5. Sanger County House

The Sanger County House, a former boarding house for travelers, and perhaps the most significant original remaining structure in Sanger, North Dakota, has collapsed.

6. Deisem

This church is all that remains of the rural outpost that was once Deisem. This former Seventh Day Adventist Church is severely structurally compromised. When it finally collapses, the above-ground remains of Deisem will pass into history.

7. Bentley Church

Less than two years after we photographed this church in Bentley, the steeple had collapsed. The webmaster of BentleyND.com [link broken] has added some photos recently which show the condition is now much worse.

Temple, North Dakota

8. Temple School

Contributor Mark Johnson visited Temple, a true ghost town, in 2004 and photographed this school. In the years since, the school has been moved and re-purposed as an addition to a home.

9. Fargo College

Fargo College opened in 1890 and blossomed into a sizable campus over the next few decades, including the Jones Hall building shown above, and later Dill Hall and a Carnegie Library. Finances took a nosedive however beginning with the Great Depression, and by 1964 all but one remaining original structure had been torn down. The only remaining structure is the former Watson Hall Conservatory of Music at 601 Fourth Street South, which is now the home of the Fargo Fine Arts Club.

moodys-1910-thumb

10. Moody’s Department Store

Moody’s was  a landmark department store in Fargo at the gateway to the west. This store stood on the corner of a city block in Fargo with the Waldorf Hotel one block away and the Northern Pacific Depot across the street — it was frequently the first stop for any traveler headed west on the railroad through North Dakota. The Moody’s store was a character in the drama that played out in the Great Fargo Fire of 1893 — home to a fire alarm box for which nobody could find a key. The city bought the building for so-called urban renewal in 1966, and the site is now home to the Bank of the West building, completed in 1973.

Bonus Place: Sanish, North Dakota

Upon completion of the Garrison Dam and the subsequent flooding of the Missouri River Valley to create the Lake Sakakawea reservoir, Sanish was abandoned in 1953 and the residents moved to higher ground. We photographed the remaining foundations when the lake was at extremely low-levels in 2005.

If you enjoy posts like this, please check out our hardcover coffee table books in our online store, or pick them up in a store near you.

See also: Building Four Bears Bridge

See also: Ten More Lost North Dakota Places

Lincoln Valley Revisited

Lincoln Valley Revisited

We revisited Lincoln Valley in May of 2010, and found things quite similar to our last visit, with the obvious exception of the Opp house, which is no longer standing.  The field just to the northeast of Lincoln Valley where it once stood is now entirely farm land and no evidence of it’s existence remains above ground.

Due to a gathering of Lincoln Valley folks which took place recently, we found the tall grass on the town site nicely trimmed.

The home above, which we affectionately call the Hobbit House, looks about the same as it did last time.

This was our third or fourth trip to Lincoln Valley.  See the photos from our first visit in 2004.

All photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media

Lincoln Valley, ND

Lincoln Valley, ND

Lincoln Valley, ND is in Sheridan County, about 8 miles NE of McClusky. It is a true ghost town. It was said to be thriving in the 50’s, but by 1972, only one resident was left. It is empty now. A huge thank you to Dale Hinsverk of Wahpeton for sending us a newspaper clipping from The Minot Daily News, August 22nd, 1970. The clipping is what allowed us to do the “Then and Now” animations.

Lincoln Valley was a primarily German and Russian settlement when it was founded in 1900 by George and Conrad C. Reiswig as Lincoln. In 1912 the name was changed to Lincoln Valley.

Lincoln Valley should be considered a dangerous town to investigate. There are open basements and wells everywhere, and very tall grass which makes it easy to tumble right into one.

Lincoln Valley Then and Now

The building pictured above is the former bar and ice cream parlor for Lincoln Valley. Note the gas pumps of the town’s gas station next door.

 Above is the former home of the Opp family, who according to a site visitor, just packed up and left one day, leaving most of their possessions behind.  For many years, this photo has been (and continues to be) an icon of our website and our passion. So with sadness we say, this house is no longer standing. It was razed due to safety concerns in 2009.

A hobbit house?

Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC