cemeteries

  • Immanuel Lutheran Church

    Immanuel Lutheran Church

    By / November 9, 2014 / Points of Interest

    As we ventured toward Minot for a book signing event, we decided we would try to sneak in some shooting time at a few different locations along the drive, but this was not a place we knew about beforehand — we just happened to drive right by it, on highway 30 in Albert Township, just… [read more]

  • Elbowoods Memorial Congregational Church

    Elbowoods Memorial Congregational Church

    By / July 22, 2014 / Elbowoods, ND

    Officially, this church is now known as Susan Webb Hall Memorial Congregational Church. It once served Elbowoods, North Dakota, a town now-submerged under Lake Sakakawea, as part of the Fort Berthold Indian Mission which dates back to the 1870s. The church was organized in 1899 and this building built in 1926.  It was relocated in… [read more]

  • Neuberg Congregational Church

    Neuberg Congregational Church

    By / July 21, 2014 / Points of Interest

    This is Neuberg Congregational Church, in Hettinger County, rural Mott.  The church, which is quite remote, nearly 25 miles from the nearest town, was built in 1925 and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. We visited Neuberg Congregational Church in July of 2014.  The sky was thick with haze… [read more]

  • DeSart, North Dakota

    The Last of DeSart, North Dakota

    By / April 21, 2014 / DeSart, ND

    In 2004, a visitor to our website suggested a list of places we should investigate in the southwest corner of the state, a list I recall mostly from memory — DeSart, Pierce, Shollsmade, Hume, Ranger, Mound, Bessie. Back then, we had very little luck finding much on many of these places. Most of them were… [read more]

  • Sherbrooke, North Dakota

    Sherbrooke Cemetery

    By / March 5, 2014 / Sherbrooke, ND

    We shot these photos of Sherbrooke Cemetery during a visit to the nearby ghost town and namesake, Sherbrooke, North Dakota, in Steele County in October of 2013. The Oxton family name was common in this cemetery. This cemetery was established in 1899 by Sherbrooke Methodist Church which has long since vanished from the town site…. [read more]

  • Blabon, North Dakota

    Blabon: Ten Years Later

    By / October 26, 2013 / Blabon, ND

    In October of 2003, we visited Blabon, North Dakota, a tiny near-ghost town in Steele County with a handful of residents, and it was the first stop on what would become a ten-year exploration of North Dakota’s ghost towns and abandoned places.  Today, we returned to Blabon after ten years to snap some photos and… [read more]

  • The former Kongsberg State Bank

    Kongsberg, ND

    By / December 27, 2012 / Kongsberg, ND

    Kongsberg, North Dakota is a tiny near-ghost town in McHenry County, just a few miles east of another near-ghost town, Ruso.  Originally dubbed Olivia, the name changed to Kongsberg in 1916.  The population of Kongsberg never exceeded 50.  Kongsberg’s church celebrated their 100th anniversary on July 1st, 2012. This was actually the second town in… [read more]

  • Tyner Cemetery

    Tyner Cemetery

    By / October 5, 2012 / Points of Interest

    Tyner Cemetery is all that remains of a rural settlement in Pembina County once known as Tyner.  Cemeteries are not something we usually feature as an entity all their own, primarily because there are plenty of websites out there which focus on cemeteries and family history already.  However, Terry visited Tyner Cemetery to photograph the… [read more]

  • alfred3

    Alfred, ND

    By / July 10, 2012 / Alfred, ND

    Alfred is a near-ghost town in Lamoure county, southwest of Jamestown.  Alfred is unincorporated, hence official population figures are hard to come by, but there appear to be perhaps ten permanent residents in the actual town site with more in the surrounding rural area.  Alfred’s reported peak population was 150 in 1930. Alfred has a… [read more]

  • werner2

    Werner, ND

    By / November 28, 2010 / Werner, ND

    Werner is in West Central North Dakota, south of Lake Sakakawea, in the oil patch region of Dunn County. According to North Dakota Place Names by Douglas A. Wick, the last business, a service station owned by Arthur Kummer, closed in 1970. The city charter was dissolved with a 7 to 2 vote in 1971…. [read more]

Back to Top