postcards

  • bismarck-1883

    Vintage View of Bismarck, Dakota Territory, 1883

    By / February 24, 2015 / Special Features

    In 1883, Bismarck had only been “Bismarck” for ten years, having existed first as a tiny frontier settlement called Missouri Crossing, then as Edwinton, until 1873. Bismarck assumed an important place in the history of the American west when it supplanted Yankton as the capital of Dakota Territory in 1883. Settlers were soon streaming in…. [read more]

  • Cogswell, North Dakota

    Three Cogswell Churches

    By / October 11, 2014 / Cogswell, ND

    We stopped in Cogswell specifically to photograph the beautiful United Methodist Church, and to see if a church shown on our postcard from 1918 was still standing. In the process, we ran across another boarded-up church we didn’t know was there. Cogswell is in Sargent County, about 60 miles west of Wahpeton. According to the… [read more]

  • Sanish, North Dakota

    Sanish Rodeo and More

    By / July 14, 2014 / Sanish, ND

    Sanish is no more.  It disappeared beneath the waves when the Garrison Dam created Lake Sakakawea and we’ve spent some time collecting photos of old Sanish when it still existed.  These photos were sent in by Don Hammer, scans he got from a friend’s scrap book years ago. These are mostly in the 1950 to… [read more]

  • Steele Store & Post Office, Lostwood, North Dakota

    Letters to Lostwood

    By / February 3, 2014 / Lostwood, ND

    We visited Lostwood, North Dakota in 2010 and found, in addition to a few farms in the neighborhood, only a well-cared for church and a boarded up school as the only real remains of Lostwood. However, Tim Steele recently sent us some photos with the following comments: I have two photos of the Steele Store and Post… [read more]

  • Omemee, ND Birdseye view

    Omemee and the Batie Family

    By / January 16, 2014 / Omemee, ND

    These photos were sent in by Cathy Zabel, a collection of things on Omemee, North Dakota, a true ghost town in Bottineau county.  Cathy’s comments are included below. The A. R Batie Residence was purchased by Adam R. Batie when he married Miss Jessie M Paff, June 27, 1907. A.R. Batie Residence Adam Batie was ‘Head… [read more]

  • Omemee, North Dakota

    When Omemee Was a Town

    By / January 15, 2014 / Omemee, ND

    We first learned about Omemee, North Dakota, a ghost town in Bottineau County, through contributors Mark Johnson and Tom Tolman, who contributed photos of Omemee as it looked around the turn of the millennium.  Those images were all we had ever seen of Omemee until quite recently.  Despite all the time we spend rummaging around… [read more]

  • Blabon, North Dakota

    Two Views of Blabon, 97 Years Apart

    By / November 29, 2013 / Blabon, ND

    These two dramatically different views of Blabon, North Dakota vividly depict how quickly things changed for some small North Dakota railroad communities in the twentieth century. The postcard above was sent to Olaf Andersen in Detroit on October 4th, 1916 with a message written in a foreign language. The photo by C.A. Sund reveals an… [read more]

  • Central School, Minot

    Minot Central High School

    The space where Minot High School’s Central Campus now stands has a long history as home to several impressive schools, one of which also happens to be my alma mater.  In 1893, a far-too-small schoolhouse was replaced with the building below – Central School, sometimes referred to as “Central Graded School” with the “d”. By… [read more]

  • Front Street Fargo, 1909

    Fargo’s Front Street, 1909

    By / November 21, 2013 / Points of Interest

    If you’re fascinated by history, you know postcards are really a simple pleasure. You can tease so many stories out of a few fine details when you look close. This intersection in Fargo is significant in the history of our state as the place where Fargo literally rose from the ground after the NP Avenue… [read more]

  • Sanish, North Dakota, 1926

    Lost Beneath the Lake: Sanish, North Dakota

    By / November 12, 2013 / Sanish, ND

    Old Sanish, North Dakota came to an end in 1953, when the river valley it occupied for over half a century became the bottom of North Dakota’s newest reservoir, Lake Sakakawea. Sanish’s residents left for higher ground, as did the residents of other low-lying towns like Van Hook and Elbowoods.  Buildings were demolished and the… [read more]

Back to Top