old-church2

Haley, ND

Bowman County
Inhabited as of 5-07

Haley, ND is a South Dakota border town in Bowman County, southwest of Bismarck.

We met the residents of Haley. There are two of them. Recounting as best we can from memory, the story goes something like: the last resident died, passed the property on to a daughter, who in turn recently passed it on to her son and soon-to-be daughter in law. They just recently moved to the townsite, and Haley once again has a full-time year round population. Two.

The town is very much off the beaten path, but the church is still in use.

CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Photos by Troy & Rat, Copyright SonicTremorMedia.com

Comments
17 Responses to “Haley, ND”
  1. Joe Z says:

WOW.

That’s all I can say.

2. kelly vanderhoef says:

there is a paved rd.from scranton nd.east of bowman,about 10 miles,go south of scranton to bowman haley dam rd,about 8mi.,follow signs to haley.rds. are paved mostly but are rough,word is they are gonna resurface this rd. 2010. i am a bowman nd. resident.

3. minnemom says:

How ironic to have a sign proudly proclaiming the founding date of a town that’s now all but gone.

4. So many memories of Haley. My Grandma was Edith Hetland. She worked at the Post Office at one time. Would visit her in the summers and on weekend. I enjoyed seeing all of the pictures of Haley. Thank you for this website. Debbie Hetland Domagala.

5. Fairlane says:

The post office really reminds me of one of the few remaining buildings in Ollie, Montana, which along with Carlyle, are just barely enough over the border to not be North Dakota ghosts.

6. Sharon Klemm says:

I would give my eye teeth to be one of a population of two! How lucky for those two people!

7. Mary says:

I grew up 3 miles north of Haley. Most of my family is buried in the cemetary there. It is a beautiful little town that always makes you feel like time stops when you are there.

8. Jean Hanes Henderson Huggins says:

I grew up a mile and a half from Haley. Went to the Haley School 1st through 4th. Haley was a nice little place back then. We even received our mail at the postoffice with Elmer Crawford at the windo.

9. Carrie says:

It sounds a little like Walnut Grove: a place Iwant to visit before I die. I look forward to visiting Haley in July 2012!

10. Johan says:

So great to see theese pictures! I stayed in Haley and the lovely Mrs Elsie Anfinson a few times during the 90′s. She was my grandfathers cousin and lived there alone with her 5 or so cats after her husband had past away.

Too bad you never got to see her “collection” of auction items she stored in the “store house” behind the gas pump. I guess they all got auctioned away after she died.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Brought back a bunch of memories! :)

I’m gonna have a check on my picture server later and see if i can find a picture of the old lady. Will post a link in that case.

11. Grandpa had lived in the Dakota Territory and had homesteaded there many years before. He would tell stories of the town when the stones in the field next door were the foundation of the Bores Head saloon. The cowboys would come in on a Saturday night and shoot it up. There were so many holes in the ceiling when it rained you had to be careful where you sat. He said there was even a shootout in Main Street in front of the general he store at high noon one day. The cowboys’ both fired their weapons until they were empty and never landed a single shot, except for the saloon’s mascot. They then got on their horses and road away, while Grandpa and Orville (The owner of the saloon and general store) butchered Gertude. The following Saturday night neither one of them could remember what the argument was about, but were only too happy to contribute 2 bits for an all you could eat pork dinner. Years later, when I was 11, the general store was still there and Oliver still ran it. He was the same age as grandpa and when they got together they could tell some of the most outrageous stories I had ever heard. The old wooden floor of the general store was still there along with the original glass countertop were large glass fish bowls full of penny candy still were on display. An old gas pump outside with the handle on the side and a glass 5 gallon container at the top stood out front on the wooden walkway. The old floor was pitted with bullet holes and Oliver could tell you a story for everyone. Several holes together were where he had to dance when a gun slinger came to town, and then he took his shoe off and revealed a missing toe.
    Grandpa also told me that He and Grandma were in the hay wagon headed for Bowman one dark night and the night turned to day as a comet passed by. He said it made an awful noise and stirred up so much dust he had to pull over because it scared the horses half to death. He was sure it was Hailey’s Comet, and he named the town Hailey after the Comet. I believed every word, but as I got older I thought it may have been that old model T in Uncle Giles’s pasture that Bert and I used to play cops and robbers in, that Grandpa really saw.

12. Milton Beckler says:

My Grandfather (Matthew Frank Beckler) homesteaded a farm not far from Hailey in 1906. My father Milton Frank Beckler, use to tell about the post office and gas pump that was there. I went there several times when I was young, when we visited my grandfather. Lots of memories about that area and also the town Buffalo Springs.

13. Rick says:

My grandfather homesteaded southwest here in 1907. I now live here in Haley. Haley was the first established town in Bowman County, 1898. I own the store building as it stands in the picture. That was built in 1900 by John Currey. The town was established because the thought was that the Milwaukee Road was going to follow the Grand River but for some reason it went 15 miles north. Haley thrived because of the homesteaders. The store still has the glass display cases that are on a picture taken in 1908. The gas pump is still standing in front of the store. From 1900 to 1967 the store was open for business and had 3 owners. The postoffice was operated until 1965. My dad was the mail carrier when the postoffice closed so he was transfered to Gascoyne and hauled the mail from there. Just a little history of a ghost town of North Dakota. Come visit sometime. My email address is rickseifert46@yahoo.com and my addressis 10009 132nd Ave SW, Haley, ND 58653

• Jim Buckmier says:

I grew up in Harding County, South Dakota, south of Haley. We received our mail out of Haley. I remember going fishing Sunday afternoons in the Grand River, just west of the Haley Bridge. There was a dirt road where we could cross the “river”.. After fishing, we would go to the Haley Store to buy a half gallon of ice cream. Oliver Ellingson was the owner then. He would wrap the ice cream in newspaper and then tie store string around it.

I also remember when I attended high school in Bowman, 1957-61. I roomed and boarded in Bowman and my Dad would come and take me home on weekends. One winter it had been blizzarding and we got as far as Haley but the roads were impassable. So we went to Hettinger & stayed with my Grandmother. The next morning we tried to get back home. The blizzard subsided but the roads were still blocked south of Haley. My
      Dad then went to the Nelson farm, east of Haley. He owned an airplane with snow skis. He took us to our farm, one at a time, because his plane would hold only one passenger. He landed in a pasture east of our farm.

14. Jim Buckmier says:

Does anyone have any pictures of Haley when it was at its peak in population & buildings? Also does anyone remember any occasions in the 1940′s when movies were shown in a large erected tent across from the grocery store?