Ardoch City Hall

Ardoch, ND

Ardoch is a town of around 60 residents in Walsh County.  We visited Ardoch once before to photograph the quite impressive Mondry Elevator, a visit during which we spent quite a bit of time looking for a phone lost in the tall grass.  Since I was in the area again, I decided to stop in for a better look.

There are an unusually high number of trailer homes in Ardoch, both inhabited and abandoned.  Most of the historic structures are now gone, with only a few exceptions.  I was somewhat shocked to discover a teenager burning leaves in a driveway right in the middle of town.  It was a breezy day at the end of the driest summer in decades… seems pretty risky in a town without a fire department.

Photos by Troy, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
11 Responses to “Ardoch, ND”
  1. Karen A Acree says:

A couple of years ago (?), I sent you a photograph of my grandmother’s family – in front of their home – in Ardoch, ND. Grandmother was about 6-7 years of age at the time the photo was taken – which would date the photo about 1895. It was the Kerr homstead, in the Dakota Territory – before statehood.

• Troy Larson says:

Karen, thanks for the reminder. I just re-categorized that post so it will now appear under the Ardoch category when you click on ‘Ardoch, ND’ under galleries on the right side of the page. Thanks again!

2. Bill Kingsbury says:

Hey Guys,

Should have stopped in Grafton where we live. Would be great to have a visit. Also could have shown you a few of my images.

Bill

3. The empty lot to the right of the red and white building used to have Smokey’s Steakhouse on it. It was a fine establishment. Many years after that it was a bar.

• Althea says:

My dad, Florian (Smoky) Schultz, was born in Ardoch, and owned and operated Smoky’s Bar and Lounge in Ardoch, ND, for many years until he retired. My mother, Barbara (Kennedy) Schultz, was an accomplished musician and accompanied many of the bands that played umpapa/old-time music in their dance hall on weekends. My mom and dad served smorgasbord on Saturday nights following the dance, and on Fridays they served Walleye and Northern Pike, lobster, and steak at their famous fish fry. Dad is 95 years old and lives in Grand Forks, independently, and is in good health. My mom, sadly, transitioned nine years ago. I last visited Ardoch in 2009. Ardoch Hall City Hall is right across the street from what was our family home that burned. My dad sold Smoky’s to a Fargo restaurateur who was required to change the name from Smoky’s to Smokey’s (with an e). The photo of what you identify was once located next to Smoky’s is what I believe is the original Smoky’s built prior to my dad’s expansion of the business around 1960.

• Mike Lyons says:

Althea, I really enjoyed eating at Smokys back in the late 80′s – I was a student at UND and my room mate from Park River (Pisek, actually) took me there a few times. You can tell your Dad that was about the best steak dinner you could find. Not only that, It was within a college student’s budget!
        I recall reading at some point, there was a problem with the water or sewer within the town, and it sadly closed. Thank you and your Dad for wonderful memories!

• Warren Robinson says:

I remember Smokey’s very well. I used to go there quite a bit while I was stationed at GFAFB. It was then the home of the 52oz steak. I never got past the 32oz myself, but on one of my visits, I saw a guy half my size finish off his entire steak and sides in the 45 min. get his name on plaque, a T-shirt that proclaimed his victory and his meal was free. I have loved that place ever since and sad to know that it’s gone

4. Dash says:

As someone who loves vintage trailers as much as ghost towns, don’t hesitate to include some photos of old and abandoned trailer homes too!

I wonder if the large number here, were do to some past boom like some other towns in the region have recently experienced?

5. Tom says:

I used to teach in Minto and passed by Ardoch hundreds(maybe thousands) of times on my way to Grand Forks. The Mondry elevator was definitely a landmark. I ate at Smoky’s several times. Always good food. On the weekends the town was packed with cars from the Smoky’s customers. It was kind of amazing to see that many people show up in a quiet town of less than 50 people.

6. Matt N says:

As a UND Aviation student, I fly over and around Ardoch weekly. It’s great to see pictures of it on the ground!